Friday, August 12, 2016

Chanterelle Mushroom Tacos on the River

The Gravel Bar Gourmet August12, 2016 Bill Cooper The October sun hung low over a multi-colored ridge to the west, bathing my riverside campsite in its last warming rays of fall splendor. The air gradually took on the October chill, while a glowing camp fire nearby worked its counterbalancing magic. It had been a charming fall day on the Meramec River. I had drifted alone, the melancholy of a magical October day had soothed and soaked to my inner core. I’m outdoors often, thus contentment is a part of my everyday life. The outdoors has that effect on the soul of mankind. Most are so far removed from the opportunity to enjoy the stillness of a sunset and the morning chill of an October morn. Regardless of the time and contented state, which I borrow from the outdoors, there are those special moments that take me away to heightened states of mental and spiritual happiness. This afternoon alone on the Meramec proved to be one of those times. My gradual float had paid handsome rewards. Fish, both rainbow trout and smallmouth bass, bit my lures often. Time passes far too quickly when fishing action matches your dreams. Then to enjoy fast fishing action amidst the brilliant fall colors, convinced me that the Creator hand handcrafted my day. I pitched camp early, around 2:30 in the afternoon. I love a comfortable camp and the simple chores required to fashion one. From beginning to end, my camp fell into place in less than 20 minutes. A good stash of firewood completed my chores. I grabbed my breakdown Ruger 10/22 from its bag and took a short walk up the colorful slope just behind camp. Visions of fried squirrel filled my cranium. However, as broke I over the first hillside bench, a colorful spread of bright orange Chanterelle mushrooms blanketed the forest floor. Chanterelle mushrooms often pop up after late summer and early fall rain showers. I had hoped to find a few during my float and camp trip. My wishes had come true. Prepared for the moment, I pulled my plastic bag from a side pocket on my camo pants and started pulling mushrooms. Within a minute, I had gathered more than enough to make Chanterelle tacos for dinner. I sacrificed the rest of my squirrel hunt to return to camp and began preparing my delectable dinner. I quickly cleaned and washed the mushrooms and cut them into large bite-sized pieces. Next, I placed them on ice in my cooler to chill them a bit while I prepared the other ingredients for cooking. I stoked the fire for warmth and light. The sun was fading fast in the western sky. My backpacking stove brought the olive oil and butter to a quick bubble. Chanterelles need to be cooked quickly. As the pieces of fungi quick cooked, I sprinkled them with crushed thyme leaves and stirred in a teaspoon of minced garlic. When the mushrooms were well caramelized, I flipped them over to brown the other side. I glanced towards the river at the sound of a smallmouth chasing minnows in the shallows. A crescent moon had begun to peek over the horizon. The first coyote of the evening howled and yipped excitedly far off in the hills. I ladled the mushrooms onto a paper towel to drain. In the meantime, I grabbed a taco shell, slathered the insides with sour cream, sprinkled in grated cheese, mild banana pepper, onion, lettuce and chopped tomato. On top, I placed a healthy portion of meaty, tasty Chanterelle mushrooms, grabbed my cold drink and sat in my camp recliner by the fire. My contentment had reached new heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment