Monday, June 8, 2015

Dian's First Bear

Dian’s First Bear Bill Cooper 5/27/15 The thought crossed my mind that if a bear wanted to eat me, there wouldn’t be a lot I could do about it. However, I spent little time contemplating the matter. Instead, I pondered the raw beauty of the mountainous New Brunswick wilderness which engulfed us. Besides, my wife Dian, held a firm grip on her Ruger American rifle chambered in .30-06. She sat beside me on an 8-foot ladder stand overlooking a bait site. A bear didn’t have much of a chance making it to me. However, a chill tingled my spine when I caught the first glimpse of a bear moving through the thick underbrush. I had taken a nice black bear the year previous only a few miles from our current stand location on the first day of my hunt with Taxis River Outfitters in Boiestown, New Brunswick. Dian had spent the next four days battling the effects of the bear rut and harsh Canada elements. She vowed to return for a bear the following season. Taxis River Outfitters leases hunting rights to 177,000 acres from a timber company. All entrances to the properties are gated insuring that only timber workers and those hunting with Larry Davidson’s hunting operation can enter the vast expanses of wilderness inhabited by bear, moose, white-tailed deer, fishers, porcupines, ruffed grouse and woodcock. Dian loaded the .30-06 as soon as we stepped out of the truck. Davidson walked ahead of us through 300 yards of head high brush, leading us to the bait site. It is not unusual for bears to already be on the baits when we arrive at 5 p.m. Too, experiencing a surprise bear in the brush is not the time to be packing an unloaded rifle. We quickly made ourselves comfortable in the ladder stand while Davidson refreshed the bait with a little more chocolate. He waved as he headed back up the trail to the truck. We returned his salute, remaining totally quiet per his instructions. Bears quickly become accustomed to hearing trucks come and go, but the sound of human voices seems to rattle them, according to Davidson. As the first hour passed, we began to understand the value of the seat cushions Davidson provided. Remaining still and quiet in a bear stand is essential for success. Bears have poor visibility, but detect motion very well. The seat cushions provided insurance that our rears could endure the sit. Our view across the vast expanses of spruce and white birch forest reached to a far away mountain still capped in snow. I silently wondered how many bears there were between us and the next mountain. Province law requires that hunters unload and case their weapons at 9:40 p.m., only a few minutes before darkness. Dian informed me prior to leaving camp that she would walk out to the road a few minutes before the deadline, so that she would have a loaded rifle while walking through the tall brush. I didn’t argue. Our first night on stand proved uneventful, except for a variety of birds and chipmunks that scurried around the bait barrel picking up morsels of food. Davidson had advised all hunters to pass on any bears they spotted the first night on stand, unless it turned out to be an exceptional animal. Of the three hunters that saw bears, all elected to pass and wait for a larger bruin. Greg Long accompanied us on our trip to New Brunswick. A superb bowman, Long promised to shave his head if he did not kill a bear. Dian chuckled and told me to get ready to film the big event. Long always has a plan and announced he still had the fall season to hunt when he didn’t fill his tag. The attraction of the Taxis River proved more than Long and I could stand. We donned our waders and headed out with flyrods in hand. He had never flyfished. After 15 minutes of simple instruction, Long had it down. Ten minutes later he held his first brook trout in his hand. The river flowed steadily by us charming our imaginations with big salmon, which had not yet arrived from the Atlantic Ocean. The Taxis ran into the Miramichi River just a few hundred yards away. The Miramichi is a world renowned salmon stream. I headed to a stand alone on the second day of our adventure. Dian had fallen ill. Davidson placed me on a different stand, with visibility to 100 yards in all directions. Towering oak and maple trees reminded me of my beloved Ozark Mountains. Rusty blossoms of trilliums and fiddleheads dotted the forest floor, creating a fantasy world provided by Mother Nature. I expected a bear to show up at any moment, but my evening ended with a high count of jays, squirrels and chipmunks. However, success shined on our camp. Zach Loder, a videographer from Pennsylvania, arrowed a hefty bear, while 16-year old Alex from Georgia took what would be the largest of seven bears taken during the week. Feeling better the following day, Dian returned to the bear woods with high expectations. Her spirits dampened a bit when a thunder cloud rolled in out of nowhere and dumped rain on us. Prepared to the hilt, Dian broke out a space blanket and stayed perfectly dry. The weatherman had promised no rain for the evening, thus we left our rain gear in camp. Fortunately, it did not rain much, so I managed to stay relatively dry. A rainbow broke out across the mountain on the horizon providing a new hope for the day’s hunt. Dian caught movement in the dense birch brush 40 yards to our front. My heart shot to my throat as I picked out the dark coat of what I thought was a bear. “It’s a moose,” Dian whispered with a ring in her voice. “Look, it’s a momma moose and yearling.” We both thrilled at the sighting of these enormous creatures. However, I lamented silently to myself. Surely, they would be no bears in the immediate area. Less than five minutes later I thought I saw movement down hill. I blinked and looked again. “Bear coming fast, front,” I whispered. Dian eased her rifle into position. I could hear her breathing heavily, but she did not tremble like she did the year before when she spotted her first bear in the wild. She cut her sparkling eyes towards me as if to say, “I’ve got this!” Rightfully so. An accomplished outdoors lady, Dian has taken wild turkey, white-tailed deer and waterfowl. Her patience in the outdoors has proven impeccable, leading to several awards for her abilities as an outdoor photographer. We watched intently as the black bear boar approached the bait. The moments seemed like eternity as Dian awaited the perfect shot opportunity. Remaining cool as a cucumber, she inhaled deeply, settled the crosshairs of her scope behind the shoulder of the bear, clicked her safety off and fired. “I hit him good,” she whispered with a ring in her voice I had never heard before. “He won’t go far with 180 grains of lead in him. I’m so excited. My first bear, but not my last.” Contact Larry Davidson of Taxis River Outfitters in Boiestown, New Brunswick, Canada at: taxisriver@taxisriveroutfitters.com, or 506-279-2930. Web: www.taxisriveroutfitters.com. Davidson offers excellent bear, moose, white-tailed deer and upland game hunts as well as trout and Atlantic Salmon fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment